Monday, September 3, 2012

Notes From the Jungle - The Rainy Season

No.1 Article of Puerto Rico Luxury Resorts

It is raining nonstop in this tiny Caribbean village. It has rained incessantly for 3 days straight; the only exception was the first day following the night of my arrival. Unfortunately I spent that gorgeous first day inside the local jungle internet café working on my website, falsely assuming there would be plenty of time for the beach. In increasing to the rain, my stomach's abrupt and vehement rebellion against the local cuisine has located a damper on my visit here.

It is my final day in Puerto Viejo and I feel surprisingly melancholy. The rain in this settlement brings a certain element of tranquility that is perfect for my creative flow. Any way with my departure for San Jose fast approaching, I long to enjoy the gorgeous stretch of beach that I remember so well from my last visit here. There is a narrow jungle path that leads to a vast expanse of unspoiled coastline. I started on the path yesterday afternoon anxious to relax on the warm sand and swim in the calm water, but a darkening sky and the rumble of thunder off in the length sent me back to the protection of the peaceful Casa Verde Hotel. The rain has hampered my potential to enjoy the new increasing at gorgeous Casa Verde, a lovely swimming pool built to look as if a natural lagoon, with keen rock formations and a soothing waterfall gently spilling into clear blue water.

Puerto Rico Luxury Resorts

I am sitting at my favorite hangout Café Rico, an open air bamboo hut underground inside a dense lump of gorgeous tropical foliage. The place feels like a remote jungle hideaway. The voices of local children and a sweet floral aroma float straight through the balmy air as I inspect locals and tourists ambling along the muddy dirt road just beyond the café. My new friend Liza, whose boyfriend Roger owns the café, graciously serves me unlimited helpings of the best cappuccino in town and shares with me her newest impressions of the eccentric American man who has taken up home here to promote the health benefits of colloidal silver and the dangers inherent dangers of government sponsored terrorism.

Notes From the Jungle - The Rainy Season

A Canadian surfer walks in and orders a sandwich and a fruit smoothie. A local bush doctor named Gregory offers to brew me a cup of corrective tea made from an indigenous plant to cleanse my ill colon. Puerto Viejo seems to turn up a constant stream of random characters and I never know what new surprise awaits me nearby the next corner. Will it be a Canadian surfer, a group of European backpackers, an Australian retired journalist or a local bush doctor? I have been spending time these past few days with a dance choreographer from Astoria, Queens. We have decided we are kindred spirits grappling with parallel life issues and searching for our soul's enlightenment straight through solitary travel.

The rain has just intensified and it is beating powerfully against the bamboo roof of this makeshift café, drowning out all other noises from the surrounding village. I am safely ensconced inside a tropical hideout with delicious coffee and a constant contribute of revolving drifters with a story to share. This is a writer's haven, and yet, the inner stillness and spiritual contentment I am seeking continue to elude me.

My mind remains preoccupied with extraneous details. I am reflecting on the sharp distinction between my present caress in Puerto Viejo and memories of my exciting, sun filled week nine years ago when I was a young graduate pupil from Manhattan traveling straight through the country in hunt of new adventures. While those restless years of young adulthood, I was a hopeless romantic with idealistic views about life and love. I was carefree and naïve, all the time searching for validation in people and places while failing to look within for my sense of peace and fulfillment.

Through the duct of time and weathering several harsh storms in my life, I have come to understand that true happiness cannot be found in the material world as it must generate from within the heart and soul. Even so, I struggle with many of the same emotional dynamics that challenged me While my last visit to Puerto Viejo nine years earlier. Possibly the caress of solitary travel brings these issues into sharper focus due to the length of time spent engaged in deep introspection.

It is funny how time works. The past nine years have brought many changes- losses and triumphs, blessings and heartbreaks. Despite the duct of time, I sit here now watching the rain fall and wondering how much has assuredly changed inside of me. I could swear it was only yesterday I stumbled into this café laughing and seeking protection from the tropical storm that chased me off the beach. Tomorrow I must leave this settlement and head to San Jose, where I will spend the night before persisting my journey on the Pacific side of the country. I wonder if I will return to Puerto Viejo in nine more years and reflect back on this duration of my life with the same sense of bittersweet nostalgia.

Time moves so fast and yet at the same time, it appears to stand still. There is no denying the aging process, and yet time is an artificial construction created by man- a size borne out of the human mind designed to placate the ego and apply order to chaos. We place astronomical emphasis on the duct of time. Possibly we would be good served focusing on the empty space between the hours and minutes- the universal sense of timelessness where inner peace and stillness lie.

I am the same soul I was nine years ago, despite the aging of my physical body. If the soul goes on after the physical body breaks down, then we are all inherently capable of entering the space of universal consciousness where the gift of timelessness awaits us. That gift is the present moment, and we are all free to enter it whenever we are ready. This, I realize, is my goal for this journey, and my journey will continue long after I leave this village.

Brief narrative of two hotels on the Caribbean Coast of Costa Rica:

Almonds and Corals Resort- Manzanillo. Almondsandcorals.com Luxury cottage tents located in the heart of the Manzanillo wildlife refuge roughly 10 miles south of Puerto Viejo contribution five star service, accommodations and amenities. Rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable with an If (Insect Factor) grade of A-. While I did not spot a singular critter in my own room, the people in the cottage next to mine complained of several large insects in the bathroom area. The bungalows are elevated by platforms lifted on stilts and associated by narrow wooden boardwalks illuminated by gas lamps. The rooms comprise comfortable queen sized beds surrounded by mosquito netting and open air showers. This gorgeous, tranquil resort sits in the midst of a rainforest jungle on a stretch of gorgeous beach. The beach is not ideal for swimming due to the strong currents but it is perfect for relaxation.

The closest swimming beach is a ten puny scenic walk from the resort. The resort is constantly shaded from the sun due to the surrounding rainforest, giving the place a true jungle feeling akin to a five star sleep away camp for adults or the setting of the 1960's television show Gilligan's Island. At the huge open air restaurant, a warm and kindly Jesse will greet you with a gorgeous smile, eager to make your stay a pleasant one. A full buffet style breakfast is included. Dinners are tasty and satisfying and meal portions are more than generous. An unlimited contribute of delicious Costa Rican coffee and bananas is ready to guests throughout the day. The resort has its own zip line, a full aid spa and many comfortable nooks and crannies perfect for reading, napping or just relaxing and mediating. This is the perfect place to relax, unwind and commune with nature. Any way if you are seeking cell phone service, Wi-Fi relationship or a resort located in easy walking length of shops, restaurants and nightlife, this is not the place for you as the closest town (Puerto Viejo) is a good 15 minutes by car.

Cabinas Casa Verde- Puerto Viejo. Cabinascasaverde.com located in the heart of Puerto Viejo, Casa Verde offers a clean, friendly, safe environment tucked away from the dust and noise of the settlement center yet still within easy walking length from the beaches, cafes and restaurants sprinkled throughout the village. The place has a strong hippie vibe and tends to cater to backpackers and funds travelers in hunt of potential accommodations at a inexpensive price. Walking the hotel grounds, it is easy to forget you are in Puerto Viejo. The If at Cabinas Casa Verde is a solid A+, as I did not spot a singular critter inside my basic room with underground bath and two duplicate beds. This tiny slice of heaven with its beautifully manicured gardens, lagoon style swimming pool, soothing waterfall, open air Jacuzzi and spa area could assuredly be found everywhere else in the Caribbean yet it maintains the wild and natural petition of Costa Rica. Casa Verde serves breakfast in a gorgeous outdoor orchad surrounded by exotic birds and gorgeous tropical flowers.

Guests can help themselves to an unlimited contribute of coffee and the kitchen serves delicious breakfast option like homemade crepes filled with tropical fruit and blended fresh fruit smoothies. The owner Rene and his wife Caroline reside on the premises, and Rene is a constant kindly nearnessy in the open air lobby and throughout the grounds of his gorgeous tropical oasis. It is clear he takes astronomical pride in his surroundings, and he treats the guests like personal friends visiting his home. The reception desk arranges motorcycle rentals for guests to enjoy the many gorgeous jungle trails and beaches that line the outskirts of town. Bottled water, snacks, juice and soda are ready for buy in the open air lobby. The place feels like a tiny slice of heaven, conveniently secluded from the rest of the settlement like a tiny island paradise. If you resolve to visit Cabinas Casa Verde, be sure to ask for one of the rooms with a underground bath and bring plenty of mosquito repellant, rain gear and comfortable walking shoes. Be sure to ask for Rene at the reception desk, and put in order to enjoy the many wonderful pleasures of the Pura Vida.

consultant Notes From the Jungle - The Rainy Season



No comments:

Post a Comment